Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Spoils of Nature...


This year we became members of Great Country Farms,which means we get a share of the GFC harvest weekly from June through November. GFC is a fabulous place, and I recommend anyone living in NOVA visit. We love it.

The thing about it, though, is that we get lots of food stuff that we normally never eat. Of course that's the point of it, but it becomes tricky trying to find something to do with a hundred pounds of Swiss Chard or Kale. I got lucky with the Swiss Chard, still looking for the Kale.

Last week we got a pint of tart cherry's, but I haven't had time to do anything with them until today. Fortunately, I opened Elana's Pantry and the new recipe she just posted today was for Cherry Blueberry Crumble. YUM.

The blueberry fields were closed today, so we picked black raspberries instead. I guess this will be a Cherry Black Raspberry crumble instead.

I'm not sold on almond flour as a GF substitute, so I'll have to figure out how to do this probably with Bob's Red Mill All Purpose flour. It's not my favorite because I think the sourgum flour leaves a strong aftertaste, but it's still my go-to flour and I'm sure it will work just fine.

Here is the recipe if you don't feel like going to Elana's Pantry to get it:

Cherry Blueberry Crumble
Filling:
4 cups fres cherries, pitted
1 pint fresh blueberries (black raspberries in my case)
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder (I'm sure cornstarch would work just fine)

Topping:
21/4 cups GF flour mix
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cube agave nectar

1. For filling, place cherries and blueberries in a 3 quart baking dish.
2. Sprinkle fruit with agave, lemon juice and vanilla, then toss in arrowroot (or corn starch)
3. To make the crumble, combine flour and salt in a large bowl
4. In a smaller bowl combine oil and agave.
5. Mix the wet ingredients into dry to form the topping
6. Then crumble topping over fruit mixture.
7. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until bubbling
8. Uncover and bake a few more minutes until topping is golden brown.
9. Remove from oven and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment