Thursday, June 24, 2010

Leaving on a Bolt Bus...

Tomorrow I leave for a long weekend trip to New York City...sans children and husband. This isn't something I do very often. In fact, pretty much never.

We make fairly frequent trips up to NYC as a family, but only because that's where Auntie Lesler lives. Otherwise I think we're basically too cheap to fork out the cash to get a hotel. But I digress.

I haven't been away from my husband and/or kids over night since a short stay in the hospital last year. Which of course doesn't count because, well, I don't need to explain.

So, my sister Labetta got a free ticket to NYC this weekend for acting as chaperon to a friend's kid who is visiting her grandparents that happen to live in NYC. I know...hard to follow. Of course since she lives in Arizona and is rarely on this side of the country I had to make a trip to see her. The question was just with or without family. Without won.

Truthfully, NYC has kind of lost its glamour in my eyes. Don't get my wrong, I love NYC. But it isn't as...mysterious(?) as it once was. Partially because we go there a couple times a year, but more than likely it's because we always go with kids. We always do at least something exciting while we're there, but it's almost always kid-friendly.

Since Labetta has only been to NYC once (I think) the weekend will definitely be filled with fun and exciting activities. All done on the cheap.

Among other things on the agenda are a run in Central Park Friday evening (or maybe we'll visit MoMA since Friday nights are free) a free Apples in Stereo concert Saturday evening (love them. if you don't know them, here's a video), and 80's dancing.

NYC of course has fabulous food, and many GF options. So many that it's kind of overwhelming. Just look here if you're interested.

I did find a GF bakery called Tu-Lu's that I might try out while I'm waiting for my sister to get off work tomorrow. I tried Babycakes a couple years ago and wasn't overly impressed, thou it was still good. So we'll see what happens.

One thing is certain - it will be a cram-packed weekend. Better yet that it's with SISTERS!!! YIPPEE!!

**************************************

One more thing, if your interested. I did find a pretty good Kale recipe. Now I don't have too feel guilty about the Kale in my fridge going bad.

4 comments:

  1. TERA!!! Why am I just now finding out that you have a blog!!!! Holy cow, I had no idea. Ok, well I will be a loyal follower from this point on out. Love ya! Have fun with your sisters!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just forwarded your blog to my friend Jenni. If she emails you or comments, remember she is my friend. She's the best and given that you are both eating the same - you both need to be friends too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eva - I started this like a week ago, so you haven't missed much.
    Penny - I'm always open to meeting new Glutards, so I'll be nice;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try to win the Wicked lottery, if you win it's a SUPER cheap way to see the show. Ben and I won last Dec and seeing it front row was amazing. And, we only had to pay $25 each ticket!

    ReplyDelete