Monday, June 21, 2010

Keeping it Real

I'm already finding the vow to keep it real that I took when creating this blog difficult to keep. The truth of the matter is this past weekend was equally fabulous and rotten. The reason comes down to this: poor Otterpop, once again, got the shaft.

Otterpop blew it out of the park for my birthday! The surprise event I so eagerly awaited was an 80's themed surprise party. Not only was he able to keep it an absolute secret, it was a fabulous party that included people making fools of themselves playing Wii Dance Revolution while decked out in their best 80's garb. Fun was had by all! Thank you so much to everyone who helped with the planning, and those who came.

How could it be so FAB, yet so rotten? For some reason Otterpop always gets the shaft on special occasions. On his 30th birthday he was surprised to be served with papers notifying him that he was being sued (long story...it all worked out). When I was preggers with Sweet Cheeks a few years back his birthday was the same weekend as the baby shower which my mom and two sisters came here for. Then this past birthday was the same weekend as the Marine Corps Marathon, which I ran. It never fails - there is always something.

But my birthday falling on the same weekend as Father's Day isn't what made it so bad. Unfortunately, we fought. All weekend. I'll spare you the details, but I'll just say that what was supposed to honor him and the wonderful husband and father he is turned into something far from it. He did get a few hours of reprieve when his family came over for a barbeque that ended up being great fun - definitley the highlight of the day. Plus, that man makes some MEAN ribs. But once again the day wasn't about him.

I know every married couple goes through things like this. Life is just hard, particularly when someone else is around. I suppose the best thing we can do is learn from each other and try our hardest not to do too much damage in the process.

It's a new day, and things are always much more clear after a night of sleep and some time to think. My new mantra...things can always get worse, so enjoy what you have while you have it.

I'm not bragging here, but I have to say that I do have the cutest little family ever...and Otterpop is definitely a keeper.
Here are some pics of the weekend. Party pics are coming soon.

The Roasted Chicken Salad with figs, goat cheese and corn I had for dinner at Sweetwater.

The Warm Flourless Chocolate Waffle. It was as delish as I remembered.

Otterpop falling asleep on the couch with Sweet Cheeks and Addie-cakes after getting his FD gifts.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the good and the bad. We definitely had both this weekend also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blog! Keeping it real makes for some good reading; we can all relate. It is easy to tell when a blog is all roses and smiles and therefore insicere: it doesn't have a ring of truth to it, and it makes people feel bad about their own less-than-ideal situations. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tera! It was great to see you guys over the weekend at Rebekah's bday. Lori told me about your blog so I just wanted to stop by and say hi. Your girls are absolutely adorable!

    Sounds like you had a great 80's bday!!

    ReplyDelete