Friday, July 2, 2010

Finding Sustenance in the Big Apple

Finding good food in NYC is like...well, I'm not creative enough to think of a good simile, so I'll use the cliche and say that it's an adventure.

The problem isn't finding good food, it's choosing between the thousands of establishme
nts available on that tiny island. I had done a little research and found a GF bakery I planned on visiting while waiting for Lesler to get off work. Alas my bus was late and things just didn't work out as planned.

Rather than going to one of the many restaurants that advertise as being GF we took a chance on
ethnic foods. I find that ethnic foods prepared traditionally without lots of processed ingredients are free of hidden gluten, which really is the most tricky thing about eating GF.

Salvadoran in Uptown
Lesler and I ate at this great Salvadoran restaurant
that was super good, super cheap, and completely greasy. It was fabulous eating pupusas, fried enchiladas, and baked rice and beans. If you're interested in learning how to make pupusas go here.

Afghan in East Villiage
I already mentioned the amazing Afghan restaurant we went to in the East Village. I wish I could remember what it was that we ate. The flavors were so intricate and full that every bite offered a glimpse of something new. This is a picture of something made with pumpkin and flavored with orange.



Fish Tacos and Mango Salsa in Washington Heights (aka home)



Lesler and I always cook at least one meal at hom
e when I visit. We had planned on making Fish Tacos when we found a recipe for Mango Salsa in a Cooking Light magazine. If that's not serendipity I'm not sure what is.

Here is the recipe. I use the term "recipe" loosely as when I cook I generally pour ingredients until it tastes good, so I'm really not sure of the measurements.

Fish Taco Rub
Tilapia Filets
Paprika
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Cumin
Salt to taste
Olive Oil
1 Lime juiced

Mix the dry ingredients. Add the olive oil and lime then rub it on the fish. Let fish marinade for a few hours (if you remember, but it's not essential). Cook at medium heat in a skillet or grill.

Mango Salsa
2 Mangos diced
3 Plum Tomatoes seeded and diced
3 Green Onions diced
1/2 cup chopped Cilantro
2 limes (or to taste)
1 tsp Chili Powder More if you want it hotter
Salt to taste

Chop all the ingredients and mix them together. It doesn't get easier than that.

To Serve:
Warm corn tortillas by wrapping them in a dish cloth and putting them in the microwave for 2 minutes. Combine the fish and salsa in the corn tortillas with chopped cabbage.


This is a really mild recipe that doesn't even taste like fish. I'm sure the entire family will enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy you have a blog! Not only because I can keep up with you and your beautiful family, but also because I feel like I can keep tabs on Lerlie (since we know she won't start her own blog)!

    This post makes me miss NY, WA Heights, and the Shorts.

    ReplyDelete